Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Don't listen to iPods, attack victim warns

THE victim of a Melbourne sexual assault has urged other women not to daydream while listening to their MP3 players. 

The 25-year-old victim, "Kate", was walking home alone from the Windsor train station down busy Alma Road in St Kilda when she was attacked between 9.30pm and 9.50pm (AEDT) on Sunday, October 10.

An unknown man approached her from behind, knocked her to the ground and sexually assaulted her for between one and two minutes just 100 metres from her home.
The woman said she was not paying attention to her surroundings because she was listening to music at the time.

"I definitely don't want to listen to my iPod anymore, I was listening to my iPod and in my thoughts I was already at home so I didn't pay attention," she told reporters.
"It's a very bad idea, because you listen to the songs that you like, you're thinking a

"That's something that has changed now, when I am walking on the street now I was always pay attention to what's happening around me."

A car driving past disturbed the man, who was last seen fleeing towards Chapel Street.
Kate is a tourist who has been living in Australia for about 18 months and plans to spend another six months here, but did not want to reveal which country she was from.

"It doesn't matter if I'm going to go back to my home country or go to another country or stay here, it's always going to stay with me this thing, I can't escape from it," she said.
Detective Senior Constable Rob Keleher from the Moorabbin Sexual Offence Unit described the attack as "terrible and brazen" and urged any witnesses or anyone with information to come forward.

"The fact that she went to ground is worrying, it was on a busy road, with pedestrian and vehicular traffic, and was brazen, we're hoping someone else has seen something happen," he told reporters.
Police have released a computer-generated image of the man.
He is described as caucasian, aged in his 30s, about 180cm tall with a medium build and has ginger facial hair.
He was wearing prescription glasses, a white cap, blue T-shirt and beige shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment